Alpern-At-Large: Stagnant economic salaries and why CA continues to decline

By: Ken Alpern, Chair
Alpern@MarVista.org


While my home is still the "Golden State", it's indeed time to question whether our gold is real or "Fool's Gold". After all, as its leaders and allied press corps like to proclaim, our budget is balanced, families are doing better, and our economy is recovering ... which would be great if it were in any way, shape or form true.

Those of us born and bred in California like to believe we're the center of the universe, and that other states could learn a thing or three from us.  We're smart, and the others are ignorant ... especially if their accent has a twang to it.  I remember growing up with that attitude, and then during my medical training in other states I discovered to my shock that it was I and my fellow Californians who were close-minded.

But the reality is that our REAL unemployment rate is 16.7%, not 8.6%, our state's economy is really hurting, and families with children are especially hard-pressed ... and with very little support from our so-called leaders.

Read more and comment at CityWatch.

Ken Alpern chairs The Transit Coalition and is a LA Westside Village Zone Director and Boardmember of the Mar Vista Community Council. The views expressed in this article are solely those of Mr. Alpern.

Comments