As part of a 10-Year Transit Plan, also known as a Comprehensive Operational Analysis, the Riverside Transit Agency is currently conducting an online survey of bus service in Western Riverside County.
Much of the survey deals with collecting travel patterns, personal information and demographics data from RTA bus patrons. Here is what the survey had to offer along with some commentary.
1. What reaction do you have when you hear "RTA"?
The name “RTA” certainly gives an impression that the organization is a government transportation agency.
2. Have you ever visited RTA's web site at www.riversidetransit.com?
Yes. Getting information, news, public records and data from RTA's web site is necessary for The Transit Coalition's work.
3. How often you ride RTA?
It varies between individuals who contribute toward the Transit Coalition's campaigns. We conduct regular field studies aboard various bus routes throughout the year.
4. Which RTA services have you used?
We've used local bus services and CommuterLink for on-board field studies. We've also observed paratransit services from the street. Individual travel patterns vary.
5. Do you participate in any other forms of ridesharing?
We also conduct field studies aboard private carpools, marketplace intercity buses, and Metrolink trains. There are contributors who also use these modes for regular commuting.
6. How often do you participate in ridesharing?
It varies between individuals who contribute toward the Transit Coalition's campaigns.
The next set of questions provide useful commuter information to RTA to better plan local and CommuterLink routing and services:
7. Which destinations do you travel to at least once a week?
8. Which destination do you travel most frequently to?
9. Where do you typically start your commute?
10. Where are you commuting to?
11. What is your average daily travel distance (one way) for the destination you commute to most frequently?
12. What is your average daily travel time (one way) for the destination you commute to most frequently?
The remainder of the survey focused on personal questions related to the collection of local demographics data.
13. What method of transportation do you normally use for the destination you commute to most frequently?
14. How many persons in your household (counting yourself), are in a certain age group?
15. What is your age?
16. What is your gender?
17. What is your current employment status?
18. Are you a U.S. veteran?
19. Are you disabled or do you have a long-term disability?
20. What is your ethnicity?
21. What is your annual household income?
22. How many operating vehicles (cars, motorcycles, vans) do you have in your household?
23. Additional comments?
RTA has reported that the survey should take about ten minutes to complete and responses are kept confidential. Take the survey here.